Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hunting the unexpected - a column in Shotgun Life

Me, one hen bufflehead and my new(ish) car after its first mudbath.
The day before Thanksgiving, I got a chance to do something I've been wanting to do for ages - go exploring a big public-land hunt area I'd never been to before.

As you can see from the photo, I didn't exactly leave with a full strap of ducks.

But the trip proved to be very fruitful anyway. To find out why, check out my latest column for Shotgun Life.

© Holly A. Heyser 2012

4 comments:

  1. Amazing what a day in the field turns up! Congrats on the mushroom find and the one Bufflehead - tho, how will you prepare it if it's not good eats?

    Told you I would keep you up-to-date on my "bird" progress this year, so here's the next report. After my first grouse and snowshoe hare this fall, got my first pheasant yesterday - one shot, one bird. Damn that felt good! Next up, more pheasant hunting, geese, and ducks. I may just need to quit my job to do my hunting life justice ;-) Hope you enjoy some great days in the blind this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skinned the bufflehead, took the breast and leg meat off the bone, then brined it for 12 hours to remove any lingering off taste. Then I just cut it into small pieces, stir fried it and ate it with rice. It tasted fine!

    Good to hear about your one shot, one bird - that always feels nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you go with your car on your hunt? Was this the first time you took it out for an off-road adventure? How was it? Even if it wasn’t your lucky hunting day, I guess you can file this one under “One heck of an experience.” There’s nothing like the thrill of heading out into the unknown!

    Vannessa Gabbett

    ReplyDelete