Pages

Monday, June 27, 2016

How to choose a shotgun for hunting

Oh, the things I wish I'd known when I bought my first shotgun.

The only real piece of advice I got was to buy a 20 gauge because I'm a chick, which really did me a disservice. I'm sorry, there's absolutely nothing about being a woman that makes a 20 gauge a better choice. I ended up upgrading to a 12 gauge within a few years, which made me much happier. It's a duck hunter thing.

After meeting a lot of hunters who used a variety of shotguns, I came to realize that the type of shotgun that's best for you really is first and foremost a function of your personality, so I created a personality test to help prospective gun owners see what might be best for them. I blogged about it back in 2012, and I recently updated that blog post to hand out at a California Waterfowl workshop for new hunters.

Click here to view a printable PDF. Feel free to share it with friends, but if you'd like to reprint it in a for-profit publication, please get in touch with me.

© Holly A. Heyser 2016

4 comments:

  1. That's actually a fascinating observation.

    "I came to realize that the type of shotgun that's best for you really is first and foremost a function of your personality"

    Yep. 12s, 20s and 410s are nice, but for my entire life I've absolutely loved 10s, 16s and (oh, yeah) 28s. They're like musical instruments.

    The 28 is about a grand a thing for a specific purpose that I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I have just stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading your blog posts very much. I am looking for new posts to get more precious info. Big thanks for the useful info. https://archerytopic.com/best-elk-hunting-pack/

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is awesome description available, thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this appropriate resources

    ReplyDelete