Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2022

A new joint venture: To The Bone

It's been almost 10 years since I ended my old blog, NorCal Cazadora. While I have found many other venues for my writing since then, none have been the right place for a lot of the most serious stuff on my mind - the big questions about how and why we interact with nature as hunters.

Blogs as they were back then have either disappeared or morphed into straight-up websites. Facebook has become the place where discussions happen, but woe unto you if you write a blog-length Facebook post. Instagram is a place for pretty pictures, not intellectual discovery.

Then came Substack. Like traditional blogs, Substack is a platform for meaningful writing, but its delivery system is a built-in newsletter (not search engines), and its revenue model is subscriptions (not advertising or sponsorships). This, it turns out, is exactly what Hank and I had been looking for. Hank, too, used to enjoy putting thought-provoking posts on his blog Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, but that site is now more focused on the how-to of putting wild food on your table.

So, I'm excited to announce we have started a joint Substack newsletter called To The Bone. Click on over to check it out - there is a smattering of free posts to sample, and you can be a paid or unpaid subscriber. Subscriptions cost $5 a month or $50 a year.
 
Why should you have to pay for anything when I used to write at no cost to you on NorCal Cazadora? Two reasons: No ads is the obvious one. But the important one is that our writing requires experience, thought and time, all of which have value.

It's been so gratifying getting back to the writing I love. There is much to explore. I hope you'll join us on the journey.


© Holly A. Heyser 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment