Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Turkey hunting - a column for Shotgun Life

OK, I know the die-hard turkey hunters out there are going to hate this, but I don't love turkey hunting, and I explain why in this column for Shotgun Life.

The timing of this column is perfect: Today is the second day of spring turkey season in California, and not only have I not gone out, but I've not even tried to set anything up.

That said, if I get a chance to go out, I will, and if I get a turkey, I'll be thrilled. Well, at least until the plucking begins. Read the column, though, and you'll see what I'd rather be doing.

And while you're on the site, I strongly recommend registering to sign up for some of the Shotgun Life email lists. I know, those emails can be such a pain, but Shotgun Life has an excellent "60 Seconds with _____" daily email with concise tips about shooting. Other email lists make me hit the delete button; this one, though, I read every time.

© Holly A. Heyser 2012

2 comments:

  1. We wish we had a chance to go turkey hunting. We live in SoCal and have no idea where to go. Seems like it's all on private land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's about right. If you don't have friends with ranches, you pretty much have to pay to hunt turkeys in this state. It's possible to get them on public land, but that's much tougher - lots of competition.

    ReplyDelete